PIGEON FORGE, Tenn. (July 24, 2013) – Pigeon Forge, Tenn., will launch its 24th annual Winterfest celebration Nov. 12 with festivities in Patriot Park that conclude with the illumination of five million Winterfest lights throughout the city and a fireworks display.
The lead-up to the evening’s activities will be the city’s third annual Salute to Veterans Parade on the Parkway.
Pigeon Forge Winterfest is a mixture of holiday celebrations, themed special events and millions of decorative lights. That combination created a new visitor season for Pigeon Forge when Winterfest started in 1990.
After the Winterfest Kickoff, businesses throughout the city offer special activities, theaters add a Christmas flair to their shows for two months and the city itself presents two major special events in January and February – Wilderness Wildlife Week and Saddle Up.
Pigeon Forge Winterfest continues through Feb. 28, 2014, offering winter activity throughout this gateway to Great Smoky Mountains National Park. Among the events on the calendar:
- Dollywood’s Smoky Mountain Christmas (Nov. 9-Dec. 30), with a variety of Christmas shows, holiday foods, crafts and a park-wide display of another four million holiday lights to complement those in the city;
- Watch for snow to fall over the Titanic Museum Attraction through November and December.
- Trolley Tour of Lights (Monday-Friday nights from Nov. 12-Dec. 31), narrated rides through Pigeon Forge on the Fun Time Trolley system to see all of the major Winterfest light displays
- Wilderness Wildlife Week (Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2014), a city-sponsored week of special programs about Great Smoky Mountains National Park and numerous other outdoor topics at the new LeConte Center at Pigeon Forge;
- Saddle Up! (Feb. 19-23), a city-sponsored celebration of cowboy poetry, western music and the American West at the new LeConte Center at Pigeon Forge.
Complete visitor information about Pigeon Forge is available online at www.MyPigeonForge.com or by calling 1-800-251-9100.
Tom Adkinson, APR